Zipline is 100% remote and accepts applicants from Canada, US & International.
Retailers use archaic, old systems that don't work (think fax machines and voicemails). We're replacing the core operational processes with a modern platform that our customers love. Help us transform a $4.4 trillion industry and improve the way millions of people work. Major retailers like Gap, Nike, LEGO, and Old Navy are already using Zipline every day, but there is so much more to do!
We are looking for another Rails Engineer to join our team as the surface area of our product and infrastructure continue to scale and keep up with rapid customer growth.
“I think I just shed a tear. This is great!” – One of our Fortune 100 customers
Here are some projects we're excited for you to work on:
- Defining and improving useful APIs for our customers
- Architecting the ETL process for retail hierarchy data
- Building integration pipelines to exchange data with a wide range of third-party services
- Coordinating with engineering teams at Fortune 500 retailers to support integration efforts
- Enacting performance improvements across our stack, particularly at the database level
- Evangelizing coding and performance best practices with the rest of the team
- Collaborating with the rest of the team on new features that customers will love
What we look for:
- You have significant relevant production experience with large scale rails applications
- You have great written and verbal communication skills.
- You prefer taking projects from inception to completion and are outcome-oriented.
- You have a strong understanding of systems architecture, database design, and the ruby language.
- You are proactive with communication and have no problem managing your time as a remote employee.
- You are proud of your craft, and enjoy and value clean code that scales to keep large teams productive.
- You're happy to support that work in an on-call capacity (as part of a rotation)
Technologies you'll work with
- Ruby on Rails 6.0
- Postgres, Redis, Elasticsearch, BigQuery
- AWS, Heroku, Ansible, Digital Ocean
- SAML SSO, GraphQL, REST, and possibly the occasional third-party SOAP API
- Zoom, Slack, Basecamp, Google Drive, Intercom
- Stock Options
- Paid Flexible and Sick Time Off (including time off to care for family members)
- Paid Parental Leave
- Group Health Insurance (Medical, Vision, and Dental) with a variety of PPO & HMO plans and a flexible spending account
- 401(k) Retirement Plan
- 100% Paid Life and Long-Term Disability Insurance
- Remote Work: Join a flexible, effective remote team and work where you’re comfortable- literally anywhere! We’ve had Zipliners join us from vans, RVs, sailboats, and AirBnBs around the globe.
- Computer accessories and office setup: There’s a science to being effective at home and we help you get there with the right equipment and accessories that you need.
- Company off-sites: Every year we come together (IRL!). Past retreats were held in Santa Cruz, New York, Mexico City, and Costa Rica.
- Education stipends: We believe in perpetual learning! If there’s a class that you want to take or a book that will help you expand your horizons, we’ll support it!
- Wellness allowance: To encourage breaks and a change of scenery, we provide a small stipend each month to get you out of the house and relax at your favorite coffee spot.
We value diversity of all kinds and are committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other. We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome people of all different backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives.
We are a seasoned team of senior rails engineers. The 3 lead engineers on our team have a combined 25+ years of working with Ruby on Rails, and we are constantly refining our craft.
The whole team cares about quality, and it shows in the way that we work. We spend time together focusing on simplicity, patterns, and fundamentals. We invest in finding the right level of abstraction to build a system that's both flexible and powerful.
We care about each other. We go above and beyond to make sure that the things we build solve actual problems, not just that the test suite passes. We collaborate, work together, give direct feedback, and grow as a team.
100% Remote requires a level and method of communication that is different than an office environment. It requires us to be proactive, conscious, and to understand things clearly before jumping to conclusions. We strive for that on a regular basis and we're getting better every day.
Philosophically, we generally align well with DHH and Sandi Metz around code quality, levels of abstraction, and the approach to solving problems